Friday, March 14, 2014

pelvic floor dysfunction, pelvic floor PT, and pelvic pain

Spinal nerve issues can mess up a lot of stuff in your body. Depending on which nerve roots are involved different parts of the body are affected.

The sacral region of my spine (the area that starts basically right below your low back) was affected. So my neurosurgeon sent me to a urologist to be evaluated since there are lots of annoying to dangerous things that could have been going on without us knowing.

Long story short, some time after surgery I had to get a referral from her to pelvic floor physical therapy (also called women's health PT but that isn't trans* inclusive nor does it include all the cis men who are being helped by it as well).

I had urinary urgency, frequency, nocturia (needing to get up and pee at night), as well as bladder and pelvic pain. It was super unpleasant and so I started PT.

I have been in PT on and off for a while now. I am very open about my experience because it is rarely talked about but very important. I lost track of the number of people I've talked to about it because they were hoping for help with similar problems.


I have offered to people I know and I'm offering here now. You can comment here (or if you don't feel comfortable you can email me) with any question at all related to the subject of this post. Within reason (i.e. it isn't rude or mean) you can really ask ANYTHING. If I don't feel comfortable answering, I won't. I would like to write more posts about this topic so I can refer people back to them when the topic comes up but I also want to answer the questions that would be most useful for somebody who needs the answers.

Ask me anything about pelvic floor dysfunction, PT, and pain. 

1 comment:

  1. This is nice post which I was awaiting for such an article and I have gained some useful information from this site. Thanks for sharing this information.

    The Many Benefits of Center for Pain Management pain management doctors in los angeles

    ReplyDelete